Revised June 29, 2020
At Welk Resort Group, Inc. (“Welk Resorts”), we are dedicated to protecting your privacy and safeguarding your personally identifiable information. Welk Resorts’ mission is to consistently exceed our guests’ expectations in terms of the products and services we provide to our owners, business and leisure travelers. We strive to create an experience that is responsive to our guests’ needs by using the information you entrust us with responsibly. Welk Resorts is committed to respecting your privacy and adhering to the principles of applicable data protection and privacy laws throughout the world.
We have provided this Privacy Statement as an explanation of the information we collect, how we use it, how the use of this information can benefit your experience on our web sites and during your relationship with us, with whom and for what purposes we may share the information, and the choices you can make about our use of the information. Customers who opt-in to receive mobile SMS or MMS messages from Welk will receive messaging under short code 50230 only from Welk. Sharing of information does not transfer opt-in or consent to receive mobile SMS or MMS messages from third parties. We also describe the measures we take to protect the security of the information and how you can contact us about our privacy practices. We wish to help you make informed decisions, so please take a moment to read the sections below.
- TYPES OF INFORMATION WE COLLECT
- PURPOSE FOR COLLECTION, PROCESSING, AND DISCLOSURE
- ACCESS TO PERSONALLY IDENTIFIABLE INFORMATION
- SECURITY SAFEGUARDS
- ON-LINE TECHNOLOGIES
- LINKS TO OTHER WEB SITES
- CALIFORNIA PRIVACY RIGHTS
- CONTACT US
TYPES OF INFORMATION WE COLLECT:
- Welk Resorts collects information about our guests and visitors to our web sites so that we can provide an experience that is responsive to our guests’ and visitors’ needs. Information may be collected as part of: (i) fulfilling reservation or information requests, (ii) purchasing products or services, (iii) registering for program membership, (iv) submitting a job application, (v) responding to communications from us (e.g., surveys, promotional offers, or reservation confirmations), (vi) accommodating your personal preferences, (vii) fulfilling requests for services or recommendations we provide you, (viii) working with third party sources, including collecting publicly available information from social networking web sites, to better assist us with understanding your interests and to serve you better, (ix) your use of our apps on your electronic devices, (x) updating your contact information including your address (through such services as the National Change of Address Service in the United States), or (xi) facilitating the transmission of forward to a friend email at your request. The types of personally identifiable information (sometimes referred to as “PII”) that we collect may include your name, home, work and e-mail addresses, telephone, mobile telephone, and fax numbers, credit card information, date of birth, gender, and lifestyle information such as room preferences, leisure activities, names and ages of children, and other information necessary to fulfill special requests (e.g., health conditions that require special room accommodations).
- Welk Resorts may also collect non-personally identifiable information about you, such as your use of our web sites, communication preferences, travel habits, aggregated data relative to your stays, and responses to promotional offers and surveys.
- Please note, to better safeguard your information, please do not include any credit card information in your electronic communication unless it is specifically required by us as part of the reservation or transaction fulfillment process on our branded reservation web sites, or our customer contact centers.
- The decision to provide PII to us is optional. However, if you choose not to provide the requested information, you may not be able to use some of the features of our websites. Welk Resorts does not respond to web browser “do not track” signals or other mechanisms that provide consumers the ability to exercise choice regarding the collection of PII about an individual consumer’s online activities over time.
PURPOSE FOR COLLECTION, PROCESSING, AND DISCLOSURE:
COLLECTION & USE
Welk Resorts is fully committed to providing you with information about the collection and use of PII furnished by, or collected from, visitors while using our web sites, products and services. It is our practice not to ask you for information unless we need it or intend to use it. Some of the primary purposes for collecting your PII are as follows:
- providing services such as processing a transaction (e.g., making a reservation, fulfilling a request for information, or completing a product order)
- marketing and communications with you in relation to the products and services offered by Welk Resorts, our strategic marketing partners, and other trusted third parties
- performing market research via surveys to better serve your needs, improve the effectiveness of our web sites, your travel experience, our various types of communications, advertising campaigns, and/or promotional activities
You may opt out of marketing emails and Welk Resorts surveys at any time by clicking on the link included in such communications, or by contacting us directly to opt out of direct marketing, telemarketing, emails or surveys. You will always be offered the choice not to submit your PII or to decide what communications you want to receive from us. However, doing so may cause certain transactions to become affected. For example, not providing a name will prevent the processing of reservations.
PROCESSING AND DISCLOSURE
In most cases, the information you provide is added to a local or global database. In the course of processing your information, it may be necessary to transfer your PII to Welk Resorts affiliates, properties within the Welk Resort system and/or third party service providers located in the United States and throughout the world for the purposes outlined within this Privacy Statement. Unless otherwise precluded or governed by legal requirements and/or process, Welk Resorts subsidiaries, affiliates and property owners that may receive your information are required to abide by substantially similar privacy requirements relating to your PII. As a general practice, Welk Resorts does not sell, rent, or give physical possession of your PII to unaffiliated third parties and third parties may not collect PII about your online activities over time and across different websites, outside the Welk Resorts system. Situations in which Welk Resorts may disclose your information to others include:
- when we have received your consent to do so
- in situations where sharing or disclosing your information is required in order to offer you products or services you desire (e.g., a vacation package)
- when companies or services providers that perform business activities on behalf of Welk Resorts require such information (e.g., credit card processing, customer support services, market research administration or database management services)
- when a hotel or other property leaves the Welk Resorts system and access to your PII is necessary to facilitate business operations or meet contractual obligations
- in the event Welk Resorts is merged or acquired by another company
- to comply with legal or regulatory requirements or obligations in accordance with applicable law, a court order or a subpoena
- in case of emergency such as to safeguard the life, health, or property of an individual
If information is shared as mentioned above, we seek to limit the scope of information that is furnished to the amount necessary for the performance of the specific function. Unless otherwise precluded by legal process, we require third parties to protect your PII and abide by applicable privacy laws and regulations.
As part of our commitment to keep you informed, we may mail, e-mail, telephone, or contact you by other means to notify you of new Welk Resorts products and services, or upcoming Welk Resorts special offers, events, enhancements, or other relevant information that may be of interest to you. You may also receive mailings or other communications from carefully selected third parties. We offer you the option to decline any or all of these Welk Resorts communications by following the directions included in our e-mails or other communications, or by contacting Welk Resorts directly.
If you are a Welk Resort Owners (“WRO”) program member, you may also change your communication choices by updating your communication preferences in your individual membership profile.
We would like to keep all of our guests and visitors informed and equally able to take advantage of the benefits offered by Welk Resorts and its strategic marketing partners. However, if you reside outside of the United States, certain data privacy regulations may require us to obtain your permission before we send you information that you have not requested from us.
In some cases, your permission will be implied from the nature of the service requested or transaction undertaken. For example, Welk Resorts may collect and use PII that you volunteer, or behavioral data or information collected in the aggregate. In addition, your permission will be deemed given for communications from us that are necessary to fulfill transactions and services that you request.
In certain circumstances, we will seek your express permission when we collect information that is regarded under certain data privacy regulations to be sensitive in nature (e.g., information revealing racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, or health conditions).
You may object to Welk Resorts disclosing your PII with third parties except when: (i) service providers have been retained to perform services on behalf of Welk Resorts; (ii) disclosure is required by law; (iii) disclosure concerns national, legal or public interest grounds; (iv) disclosure is necessary to protect the vital interests of the guest; (v) information has been collected from publicly accessible sources; (vi) disclosure concerns the retrospective processing of the information for historical, statistical or enhancement of guest experiences; or (vii) disclosure is authorized by a supervisory authority (such as a Privacy Commissioner, Data Protection Authority, or other similar authority).
ACCESS TO PERSONALLY IDENTIFIABLE INFORMATION:
To ensure that your PII is accurate and up to date, we encourage you to regularly review and update your information as appropriate (e.g., in the event your home or e-mail address changes, or you wish to add an additional method for us to communicate with you). If you are an WRO program member, you can review and update your individual membership profile on-line or with the assistance of a Welk Resorts customer service representative.
If, upon review, you wish to deactivate your WRO program member profile, or update your PII, we will endeavor to do so in a timely manner. Occasionally, information that you request to be removed will be retained in certain files for a period of time in order to properly resolve disputes or to troubleshoot problems. In addition, some types of information may be stored indefinitely on “back up” systems or within log files due to technical constraints, or financial or legal requirements. Therefore, you should not always expect that all of your PII will be completely removed from our databases in response to your request.
Please refer to the appropriate contact information below to contact us about updating your communication preferences, removal from our marketing lists, or to submit a general question or request.
Welk Resorts recognizes the importance of information security, and is constantly reviewing and enhancing our technical, physical, and logical security policies and procedures. All Welk Resorts owned web sites and servers have security measures in place to help protect your PII against loss, misuse, unlawful or unauthorized access, disclosure, or alteration while under our control. Although “guaranteed security” does not exist either on or off the Internet, we safeguard your information using appropriate administrative, procedural and technical safeguards, including password controls, “firewalls” and the use of Secure Sockets Layer (SSL), an encryption method used to help protect your data from interception and hacking while in transit.
Cookies are designed to save you time because they help us to provide you with a customized experience without you having to remind us of your preferences each time you return to our web pages. Welk Resorts cookies are not designed to damage your files, nor can they read information from other files on your computer hard drive.
Cookies can also help us provide you with a personalized on-line experience in the following ways:
- they remember your user name and password for future visits so log-in is easier and faster.
- they ensure you are provided with the appropriate frames and content.
- they ensure you obtain all requested information.
- they help us deliver communications that are relevant and responsive to your interests and location.
Welk Resorts cookies are limited to our web sites only, and are not designed to follow you when traveling on the Internet after leaving Welk Resorts owned web sites. We track the usage of our web sites in order to better meet your needs and to help make it easier for you to find information in the future. Please note that in addition to Welk Resorts cookies, various third parties may also place cookies on your computer’s hard drive. Welk Resorts is not responsible for the presence or absence of third party cookies, or for the technological capabilities or practices employed by third parties in connection with third party cookies.
If you would prefer not to have the benefits of cookies, your Internet browser can be adjusted to treat cookies in different ways. Depending upon the type of browser you are using, you may be able to configure your browser so that: (i) you are prompted to accept or reject cookies on an individual basis or (ii) you may be able to prevent your browser from accepting any cookies at all. You should refer to the supplier or manufacturer of your web browser for specific details about cookie security. However, you should also understand that rejecting cookies might affect your ability to perform certain transactions on our web sites and our ability to recognize your browser from one visit to the next.
Welk Resorts also uses invisible pixels, sometimes called web beacons, to count how many people visit certain web pages. Information collected from invisible pixels is used and reported in the aggregate and does not contain PII. Welk Resorts may use this information to improve marketing programs and content.
LINKS TO OTHER WEB SITES:
In order to anticipate your needs, Welk Resorts provides links to other web sites for your convenience and information. Welk Resorts is not responsible or liable for any content presented by or contained on any independent web site, including, but not limited to, any advertising claims or marketing practices. Please note that while Welk Resorts will protect your information on Welk Resorts owned and operated web sites, we cannot control and will not be responsible for the privacy policies of third party web sites, including web sites owned or controlled by independent franchisees, third party owners of hotel, resort, interval ownership, or residence properties that may use the name of a Welk Resorts brand, or web sites not controlled or authorized by Welk Resorts. Third party web sites that are accessed through links on our web sites have separate privacy and data collection practices, and security measures. We have no responsibility or liability for the practices, policies and security measures implemented by third parties on their web sites. We encourage you to contact them to ask questions about their privacy practices, policies and security measures before disclosing any PII. We recommend that you review the privacy statements and policies of linked web sites to understand how those web sites collect, use and store information.
Welk Resorts does not seek to obtain nor does it wish to receive PII directly from minors; however, we cannot always determine the age of persons who access and use our web sites. If a minor (as defined by applicable law) provides us with his/her data without parental or guardian consent, we encourage the parent or guardian to contact us to have this information removed and to unsubscribe the minor from future Welk Resorts marketing communications.
CALIFORNIA PRIVACY RIGHTS
California Civil Code Section § 1798.83 permits users of our Website that are California residents to request certain information regarding our disclosure of personal information to third parties for their direct marketing purposes. To make such a request, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or write us at 8860 Lawrence Welk Drive, Escondido, California 92026.
Customers in the state of California may request a list of categorized third parties and in some cases affiliates to whom we may have disclosed their personal information specifically for those third parties’ and/or affiliates’ own marketing purposes, as well as the type of personal information disclosed to those parties. Welk Resorts does not disclose your personal information to third parties or affiliates for those third parties’ or affiliates’ own marketing purposes. If you are a California resident and would like to more information about our compliance with this law, please email email@example.com or submit a written request Welk Resorts Attn: “California Privacy Rights Request” in the first line of the description and subject line. You must include your name, street address, city, state, and ZIP code. Please note that we are not required to respond to requests made by means other than through the provided address listed below.
Right to Know and Delete
Consumers who are California residents (and not representatives of businesses, whether those businesses are our customers or others) have the right to know certain information about our data practices in the preceding 12 months. In particular, they have the right to request the following from us:
- The categories of personal information we have collected about them
- The categories of sources from which the personal information was collected
- The categories of personal information about them that we disclosed for a business purpose or sold
- The categories of third parties to whom the personal information was disclosed for a business purpose or sold
- The business or commercial purpose for collecting or selling the personal information.
In addition, in certain circumstances California consumers have the right to delete the personal information we have collected from them.
To exercise any of these rights, California consumers should submit a request through our Privacy Information Request web page, by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by submitting a written request to Welk Resorts Attn: “California Privacy Rights Request” in the first line of the description and subject line. You must include your name, street address, city, state, and ZIP code. Please note that we are not required to respond to requests made by means other than those provided below.
In the request, please specify which right you are seeking to exercise and the scope of the request. We will confirm receipt of your request within 10 days. We may require specific information from you to help us verify your identity and process your request. If we are unable to verify your identity, we may deny your requests to know or delete.
Do Not Sell My Personal Information
To the extent Welk Resorts sells your personal information as the term “sell” is defined under the California Consumer Privacy Act, you have the right to opt-out of the sale of your personal information by us to third parties at any time. You may submit a request to opt-out through our Do Not Sell Request web page, by email at email@example.com, or by submitting a written request to Welk Resorts Attn: “California Privacy Rights Request” in the first line of the description and subject line. You must include your name, street address, city, state, and ZIP code. Please note that we are not required to respond to requests made by means other than through the provided address listed below.
Right to Request Accessible Alternative Format
The Do Not Sell My Information and this Notice have been designed to be accessible for blind and visually-impaired users and to allow for user interaction on such web form. If you experience any difficulties accessing this information, please call our toll-free number at 1-884-249-8115 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Right to Non-Discrimination
You have the right not to receive discriminatory treatment by us for the exercise of any of your rights.
Categories of personal information we collect
We collect information that identifies, relates to, describes, references, is reasonably capable of being associated with, or could reasonably be linked, directly or indirectly, with a particular California consumer or household (“personal information”). In particular, we have collected one or more data types from the following categories of personal information from consumers within the twelve months preceding the effective date of this Privacy Statement:
|Category||Examples of Personal Information that May Be Collected||Collected||Business or Commercial Purpose|
|A. Identifiers.||A real name, alias, postal address, unique personal identifier, online identifier, Internet Protocol address, email address, account name, Social Security number, driver's license number, or passport number.||YES|
|B. Personal information categories listed in the California Customer Records statute (Cal. Civ. Code § 1798.80(e)).||A name, signature, Social Security number, physical characteristics or description, address, telephone number, passport number, driver's license or state identification card number, insurance policy number, education, employment, employment history, bank account number, medical information, or health insurance information.||YES|
|C. Protected classification characteristics under California or federal law.||Age, race, color, national origin, citizenship, religion or creed, marital status, medical condition, physical or mental disability, sex (including gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy or childbirth and related medical conditions), sexual orientation for same sex benefits, veteran or military status.||YES|
|D. Commercial information.||Including records of personal property, products or services purchased, obtained, or considered, or other purchasing or consuming histories or tendencies.||YES|
|E. Biometric information.||None.||NO|
|F. Internet or other similar network activity.||Browsing history, search history, information on a consumer's interaction with a website, application.||YES|
|G. Geolocation data.||Physical location.||YES|
|H. Sensory data.||Audio.||NO|
|I. Professional or employment-related information.||Current or past job history or performance evaluations.||YES|
|J. Education information, as defined by the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act||None.||NO|
|K. Inferences drawn from other personal information.||Profile reflecting a person's preferences, characteristics, predispositions, behavior, attitudes, or abilities.||YES|
Our business and commercial purposes for collecting personal information
We use the personal information we collect for our operational purposes or other purposes set out in this Privacy Statement. Specifically, we use the personal information we collect for our commercial or economic purposes, such as attracting consumers to buy, rent, lease, join, subscribe to, provide, or exchange products, goods, property, information, or services, or enabling or effecting, directly or indirectly, a commercial transaction.
Those purposes may include:
- Enter into or perform a contract with you
- Respond to your inquiries or requests, or to complete and fulfill any purchases or services requests
- Send transactional or administrative information to you
- Allow you to participate in contests and similar promotions, and to administer them
- Send you communications we believe may interest you, for our own or third parties’ products and services
- Allow you to send messages to a friend through the Services, or submit reviews or other user-generated content
- Allow you to participate in any loyalty or other programs
- Personalize your experience on the Services by presenting products and offers tailored to you
- Auditing related to a current interaction with the consumer and concurrent transactions, including, but not limited to, counting ad impressions to unique visitors, verifying positioning and quality of ad impressions, and auditing for legal or other compliance purposes.
- Detecting security incidents, protecting against malicious, deceptive, fraudulent, or illegal activity, and prosecuting those responsible for that activity.
- Debugging to identify and repair errors that impair existing intended functionality.
- Short-term, transient use, provided the personal information is not disclosed to another third party and is not used to build a profile about a consumer or otherwise alter an individual consumer’s experience outside the current interaction, including, but not limited to, the contextual customization of ads shown as part of the same interaction.
- Maintaining or servicing accounts, providing customer service, processing or fulfilling orders and transactions, verifying customer information, processing payments, providing financing, providing advertising or marketing services, providing analytic services, or providing similar services on behalf of the business or service provider.
- Undertaking internal research for technological development and demonstration.
- Undertaking activities to verify or maintain the quality or safety of a service or device that is owned, manufactured, manufactured for, or controlled by the business, and to improve, upgrade, or enhance the service or device that is owned, manufactured, manufactured for, or controlled by the business.
- Fulfilling associate or owner benefits.
- Performing marketing activities and data analysis.
- Servicing guest or owner accounts.
- Performing background or credit checks.
- Show you targeted advertisements on marketing efforts including media, email, and Optimize our websites and mobile apps
- Perform analytics to improve business operations
- Support marketing efforts
- Provide customer service
- Communicating with consumers regarding any of the above.
In the twelve (12) months preceding the effective date of this Privacy Statement, we have disclosed the following categories of personal information of California consumers for a business purpose:
Category A: Identifiers.
Category B: Categories of personal information described in Cal. Civ. Code § 1798.80(e).
Category C: Characteristics of protected classifications under California or federal law.
Category D: Commercial information.
Category F: Internet or other electronic network activity information.
Category G: Geolocation data.
Category H: Audio, electronic, visual, thermal, olfactory, or similar information.
Category I: Professional or employment-related information.
Category K: Inferences.
Sales of Personal Information
In the preceding twelve (12) months, Company has not sold personal information.
Categories of sources of personal information
We obtain the categories of personal information listed above from the following categories of sources:
- The consumer
- Third-party data providers.
UPDATING YOUR COMMUNICATION PREFERENCES
If you would like to update your information, modify your communication preferences, or if you do not want to receive marketing communications from Welk Resorts in the future, you can contact us:
by writing to us at:
300 Rancheros Drive
San Marcos, California 92069